A New Standard for Open-Source, Commercially Usable LLMs
MPT-7B is the latest entry in the MosaicML Foundation Series. MPT-7B is a transformer trained from scratch on 1T tokens of text and code. It is open source, available for commercial use, and matches the quality of LLaMA-7B. MPT-7B was trained on the MosaicML platform in 9.5 days with zero human intervention at a cost of ~$200k. Starting today, you can train, finetune, and deploy your own private MPT models, either starting from one of our checkpoints or training from scratch. For inspiration, we are also releasing three finetuned models in addition to the base MPT-7B: MPT-7B-Instruct, MPT-7B-Chat, and MPT-7B-StoryWriter-65k+, the last of which uses a context length of 65k tokens.
Large language models (LLMs) are changing the world, but for those outside well-resourced industry labs, it can be extremely difficult to train and deploy these models. This has led to a flurry of activity centered on open-source LLMs, such as the LLaMA series from Meta, the Pythia series from EleutherAI, the StableLM series from StabilityAI, and the OpenLLaMA model from Berkeley AI Research.
MosaicML is releasing a new model series called MPT (MosaicML Pretrained Transformer) to address the limitations of the above models and finally provide a commercially-usable, open-source model that matches (and - in many ways - surpasses) LLaMA-7B. The MPT model series is:
- Licensed for commercial use (unlike LLaMA).
- Trained on a large amount of data (1T tokens like LLaMA vs. 300B for Pythia, 300B for OpenLLaMA, and 800B for StableLM).
- Prepared to handle extremely long inputs thanks to ALiBi (we trained on up to 65k inputs and can handle up to 84k vs. 2k-4k for other open source models).
- Optimized for fast training and inference (via FlashAttention and FasterTransformer)
- Equipped with highly efficient open-source training code.