Optimizing Language Models for Dialogue
OpenAI trained a model called ChatGPT which interacts in a conversational way. The dialogue format makes it possible for ChatGPT to answer followup questions, admit its mistakes, challenge incorrect premises, and reject inappropriate requests. ChatGPT is a sibling model to InstructGPT, which is trained to follow an instruction in a prompt and provide a detailed response.
Example use cases:
- Code refactoring
- Explaining and fixing bugs in code
- Search engine (an alternative for Google)
- Generating AI art prompts
- Writing essays
- Write piano pieces
- Writing jokes
- Writing social media posts
- Disputing A Parking Fine with ChatGPT
- API integration
- Summarize articles and web pages
- Writing legislation
- And many more
- It took NetFlix 3.5 years to reach 1 million users.
- It took Facebook 10 months to reach 1 million users
- It took Instagram 2.5 months to reach 1 million users
- It took Spotify 5 months to reach 1 million users
After one week of launching, ChatGPT gained 1 million users. While GPT-3 is the more powerful Large Language Model (LLM) of the two, ChatGPT is better suited for chatbot applications and is faster and more efficient than GPT-3.
ChatGPT passes exams and tests
ChatGPT is smart enough to pass prestigious graduate-level exams:
- ChatGPT bot passes law school exam
- GPT-3 would have received a B to B- on an MBA Wharton final exam
- Researchers have also tested ChatGPT on the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE)
How to download the ChatGPT app
ChatGPT is available online and doesn't need to be downloaded.
ChatGPT's knowledge is also pretty much restricted to things it learned before 2021. However, it is undeniable that the AI Chatbot is the smartest one ever seen by the public. And it isn't even OpenAI's best AI model, which would be GPT-4, releasing in 2023 or so.
The current limitations of the dominant large language models and their derivatives (e.g., ChatGPT) are well known and are acknowledged by their developers (see here for ChatGPT/LLM errors tracker). There is no doubt that they will be further improved—and that we will continue to be surprised by their capabilities.
But there is also another hidden problem lurking within ChatGPT: That is, it quickly spits out eloquent, confident responses that often sound plausible and true even if they are not.
Is ChatGPT free?
Although ChatGPT is free to use, Sam Altman, The head of OpenAI, stated that cost per chat was “probably single-digits cents,” leading to a discourse about the future of monetizing the platform.
ChatGPT professional, the premium version, is now priced at $42 per month.